Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Toronto Aint no Manhattan...Manhattan aint no Toronto

Seriously.  All the grocery stores here close in the middle of the afternoon on New years' Eve!!!!  What's that about?

A lot of banks aren't even open on weekends, and even weekday hours are shoddy.

Banks charge you to see the face of the tellar here.  I'm not kidding.

Only two pharmacies are open all night.

I haven't been able to find the 24hr post office.

Add 50% of the price to account for tax in everything you pay for.  Again.  Not quite a joke.

Everyone starts work at 9am or 10am. 

The subway is overpriced.  I pay more than I did in NYC.

Torontonians take Christmas more seriously than Thanksgiving.  Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Zellers smells like TJmax.

I have to travel very far to find edible food.

It snows every day beginning in September.  Ok...maybe a slight exagerration.

Cell phone plans ridiculous.  You get half the minutes for twice the cost.  

Toronto aint no Manhattan...

Manhattan aint no Toronto...

In Toronto...

I cook every day.

I feel safe.

I am part of a caring community of people.

I have learned to meditate.

I am at home in Toronto.  

I am growing every day.

Manhattan will always be my second choice of vacation.  After Paris, that is.

Happy New Year everyone!!!  

3 comments:

NYC Educator said...

I love Canada, though I spend a lot more time in Montreal than Toronto. We have family there. I can't believe that Americans aren't storming the White House with torches and pitchforks to demand health care for all (like they have in Canada) instead of bailouts for gazillionaires and endless war.

I think I may move there after retirement if things don't change here.

africannewyorkerintoronto said...

Yay potential Canadian! Good to see you again NYCEd:)

Here we do pay for it with ridiculous taxes. I guess it's worth it coz the health care and social service system is good. Almost everyone is fed and housed somehow...The "somehow" part I guess comes from taxes and different government infrastracture...

Elections here are more decent. But stay strong NYCEd. Change is on its way for y'all in the US!!!

NYC Educator said...

Thanks for your kind words. But I gotta tell you, our taxes are just as ridiculous here in the USA. I don't know how it was for you in NYC as a single gal, but I live in the burbs and pay maybe 8K a year just in property taxes. My brother-in-law has a nicer house (outside Montreal) than we do and pays a fraction of that. And sooner or later, the bill's gonna come due for the wars and bailouts, and I've read it runs tens of thousands for every living American.

Happy New Year to you, and I hope you're right that good changes are coming.